When I say pizza...your head probably goes to the stuff that comes to you in a cardboard box. It typically is a basic pizza with a tomato base, blended cheeses, maybe some veggies and most likely a pepperoni or two. I am here to tell you that the most amazing pizza cam be made with ingredients sourced locally from your neighbors and cooked right in your very own oven!
Not only are you going to support your local vendors and create an amazing dinner BUT you are also going to avoid tons of the chemicals and additives found in frozen and mass produced pizzas. I know that I can always find safe produce at my favorite local Farmer's Market in West Chester, Ohio. It is held every Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm in the square! One of my favorite vendors who shares my passion for natural foods is Just Farmin'! Check them out on their facebook page HERE. I love them because they grow their produce "without using specific conventional pesticides, fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge, bioengineering, or GMO seeds. We utilize Heirloom verities when practical; in some cases we use Hybrid verities to combat plant viruses/disease. We utilize sustainable agriculture methods throughout the growing season, which is 11 months out of the year." THIS IS AMAZING!!!!
BACK TO THE PIZZA!
THE CRUST:To make a great pizza, you have to start with a CRUST. I love making this at home because you can add spices, herbs and flavors - like local beer to the crust! If you are looking for an easy Yeast Free Pizza Crust Recipe - click here. If you are looking or something more traditional, you will need the following:
- 1 package active dry yeast
- Feel free to add fresh herbs found at the Farmers Market
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let this sit for about 10 minutes, you may notice the mixture doubling in size.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Place dough on greased pizza pan or cookie sheet and press out until dough covers to the edge.
- Bake the dough until golden brown then top with desired topping and complete until the toppings and cheese are bubbly! You can also roll this into breadsticks or into balls and top with garlic butter!
|The O-O Mushetta Pizza|
Here is one of my FAVORITE recipes for My O-O-Mushetta Pizza - here! YOU CAN GET EVERYTHING FROM YOUR LOCAL FARMER'S MARKET and it is inspired by one of my favorite pizzas from Mellow Mushroom!
Let's talk sauces! There are so many things that you can do to change up your sauce! Try some of the following on your next pizza instead of that storebought "pizza sauce"! You are going to find TONS of flavor, less added junk, and creations that you never could have dreamed of:
- Locally sourced bar-b-que sauce
- Locally made salsa
- Hot sauces found at the farmer's market
- Chunky marinara - you guessed it- from the market
- Garlic oil (get the garlic locally!)
Yeah yeah....I know you have some favorite toppings but this is your chance to branch out and try something new! At the market, you can find the following:
- Spicy local sausages, bacon, ham, cured meats
- Spinach, mushrooms, onions, pineapples, tomatoes, artichokes, asparagus, sun dried tomatoes, spicy or sweet peppers, olives, herbs
- specialty cheeses
- Homemade BALSAMIC GLAZE
LOAD UP YOUR PIZZA CRUST AND PLACE IN THE OVEN FOR 5-7 MINUTES! WATCH UNTIL THE CHEESE TURNS GOLDEN- BROWN-AND BUBBLY!
Your family will absolutely love your new creation and you will probably think twice before picking up the phone and ordering that boxed pizza again!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and take some inspiration and head to your local farmer's market to SHOP LOCAL, SUPPORT YOUR NEIGHBORS, and find your new Flavor!